Content of this article
- Topic list
- Definition essay structure
A definition essay is an essay written by students in order to define some concept, term, or word. This essay explains something that is not well known.
The definition must be thorough and long. It is essential that you choose a word that will give you plenty to write about, and there are a few standard tactics you can use to elaborate on the term. The definition essay has a few parts: telling what term you are going to speak about, presenting information and using facts, examples, or anecdotes that readers will understand.
First of all, if you are writing definition essay you need to choose a topic that will be interesting. You need to remember that most physical object has definitions which are similar for most people, so you will write about something, that usually do not have a second opinion. At the same time, if you will choose some abstract thing as a topic for your essay, you need to know that this thing has different meaning to different people. You need to pay attention to every detail when you are choosing a topic!
Did you Know we can help you Write Your Essay?
List of 70 definition essay topics:
- Real estate
- American dream
- Male chauvinism
- Peer pressure
- Juvenile delinquency
- Contemporary art
- Healthy living
- Corporate social responsibility
- Good parenting
- Environmental conservation
- Civil rights
- Racial segregation
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Since a definition essay is primarily focused on explanation and meaning of the definite term or terms, the structure of the essay is focused on expounding the subject. Definition essays are mainly articulated in continuous prose from a subjective angle of the author. The structure must ensure coherent and logical flow of ideas for each paragraph as the author continues to expound on the topic. Each paragraph should present a unique idea with a lead sentence and several sentences expounding on the idea presented by the lead sentence. The subsequent sentences must be logically connected to the topic and ideas the author presents in each paragraph. The paragraphs then have to introduce the subsequent ones and create a smooth transition between them to avoid losing the interest of the reader.
Tips on introduction writing
Introduction is worded and structured to attract the attention of the reader. Here are some tips on how to write a good introductory paragraph for a definition essay:
- Ensure it has a thesis statement;
- It should introduce the body paragraphs and create a smooth transition;
- Avoid a lengthy introduction;
- Do not bury the thesis statement deep in the introduction;
- Avoid grammatical mistakes and ensure coherence of the definition in the introduction.
Tips on body paragraphs writing
The body paragraph harbors much details on the defined term/ phrase. In this article, some key tips on writing body paragraphs of a definition essay:
- Always create a smooth transition from each paragraph to the next;
- Each paragraph should start with a topic sentence;
- Each paragraph should be few sentences in length preferable four or five;
- Avoid lengthy sentences they are likely to be ungrammatical;
- Each paragraph should carry its own idea/opinion;
Tips on conclusion writing
There are necessary definition essay tips that can be instrumental to writing a great definition essay conclusion:
- The conclusion should sum up the content of the entire essay and present the ;author’s unique definition of the subject/topic being discussed;
- The conclusion should refer to contents previously written in the essay;
- The conclusion of a definition essay can also reassert the thesis statement;
- The conclusion should also be short and made up of few sentences;
- Include a short summary of each key point used in the essay.
Does not matter what topic you will choose, what is really important: really believe that you will find your audience. The topic that you are going to choose needs to be interesting for you personally, in other case it would be really difficult to gather all facts and general information to make a good paper. You need to ask yourself: will my future work be interesting to read? Has my future essay a perspective to become a reason for discussion? Is it possible to be serious in talking about this theme but not so much serious to put to sleep this one, who will read it? If the answers are yes, you have a good chance to write an outstanding definition essay.
You see a new word that absolutely means nothing to you. The word seems interesting enough so as a wise student you decide to look it up in the dictionary. After researching the term online, you find a proper definition that seems logical enough. Great, you have learned a new word!
However, sometimes a term cannot be described in a sentence or two. This word is so complex and deep that it requires hundreds or even thousands of words to explain it.
Table Of Contents
What is a Definition Essay?
A definition essay can be tricky to write. This type of paper requires you to write a partially personal and also formal explanation of . Considering the fact that this is an essay, you can not pick a term that is describable in a few words. It has to be a complex term that has significant background and origin in history, as well as a term that people can relate to in some way or form. For example, the word "love". It is seemingly impossible to explain this concept in a sentence or two, so we must create an entire essay about it to give it an accurate UNIVERSAL representation!
Types of Definitions commonly used in Definition Essay
- Analysis: Break the subject into parts and define each part individually.
- Classification: What classes does the subject belong to?
- Comparison: Unusual things may be defined by showing its likeness to the common or its contrast from it.
- Details: What are the characteristics and other distinguishing features that describe the idea of the paper?
- Negation: Mention what it is not in order to clear the ground for what it is.
- Origins and Causes: What is the origin of the theme? What is the background information? What is the history of the idea?
- Results, Effects, and Uses: Describe the after effect and uses of the subject.
- What makes someone a Hero
- What is Success?
- Describe Love.
- Explain the definition of Beauty.
- What is Happiness?
- How can one define Respect?
- What is the definition of Loyalty?
- What is Courage?
- Describe Heroism.
- What is Friendship?
These are just some common examples of definition essay questions and topics that are commonly asked on tests and coursework assignments. There are an infinite number of words that can be defined in the span of an essay. The goal here is to pick one that as a student you feel comfortable explaining and portraying. It is time to become a word artist!
A definition essay outline will vary in length based on the term one is describing. As stated previously, some terms are fairly logical and more or less "easy to understand". There are some terms, however, that require deep research and analysis in order to be able and formulate an accurate representation of its meaning! Regardless Every Definition Essay should be written in the classic Intro-Body(s)-Conclusion format.
Steps to take Pre-Writing
Before you even begin writing, obviously a word has to be chosen for the essay to be based around. Here are a few tips to consider before choosing your !
- Choosing a Proper Term:
- As stated previously, it is impossible to write a hefty custom essay on a simple word. That is why it is important to be meticulous during the decision process. Choosing something like a noun is most likely not going to work out. For example, if you chose the term "pencil", there is really not much depth that you as the writer can get into. Sticking in the same sphere, choosing something like "writing" is much more subjective and gives you as the writer some room for implementing different ideas!
- The Word Should be Multi-Dimensional
- Think about it like this: there are certain words in every language that have multiple interpretations; some people will perceive them differently than others!
- Avoid using terms that are universal in every language; an example would be like "hello" or "telephone". Though there are ways you can stretch information on these terms, it is better to pick a juicy one from the start!
- Term Familiarity
- It will be practically impossible to write about a term that has no correlation with your life. You should choose a word that you know well and that also has undiscovered boxes in your life. Ideally, in any research assignment you ever get, there will be some personality knowledgeable gain!
- Do some historical research!
- Considering that humans have been lingual for centuries, there is a % chance that your term has a significant past. Check out the Oxford Dictionary's explanation in order to get yourself a point of relevance!
As with any other essay, you are using this part to start informing your writers about the contents of your paper. In a definition essay, the introduction serves two main goals; first, you must give a "standard" definition of the term, and then give the thesis definition!
- Standard Definition: The initial section of the introduction should state the dictionary version. This is important for the readers to have a starting point in regards to the term so as to clarify any possible questions. Also, this is especially important because the standard definition will slightly vary from the thesis one, which allows for multi-dimensionality!
Similar to the classic thesis statement, the thesis definition is your fully completed version of what the term actually means. This is a hybrid of the standard definition, while also mixing in your personal experiences and explanation style! Do not try and describe too much in this section, as you want to split up the bulk of it for the rest of the essay! Make sure that you don’t use passive phrases involving the word when defining your term. The phrases like and are especially ponderous.
The body paragraphs are the part of the essay that really breaks down the term into its core parts. You are taking every variation of the definition and its history and breaking it down into organized sections. An example of good body paragraph structure:
- Body Paragraph 1: History and Origin
- Body Paragraph 2: Full dictionary explanation and use.
- Body Paragraph 3: Personal definition created from experience.
The conclusion is fairly simple and to the point. The main goal here is to summarize the main points of your argument. Rephrase the main parts of the definition and make sure you summed up everything you planned on saying. The last thing that should be mentioned is how this term has impacted you. Usually, before even writing the essay, there is a reason a specific term is picked and part of the reason has to do with personal experience.
Mention how the definition you were talking about affected you.
If the term you define plays a specific part in your life and experiences, your final concluding comments are a great place to concisely mention the role it plays.
Definition Essay Examples
Essay Writing Advice From Our Professional Team
Jackson Super Writer, from EssayPro
When writing a definition essay, a common mistake is choosing a term that is way too broad for the given assignment. When you’ve chosen a term, try to narrow it down so it is easier to define and find examples for. As the article articulates, the term’s origin is very important to the word’s meaning itself. For example, the word “crush” comes from a variety of similar words in nordic languages. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to list every single one of those words as examples. As with word “crush”, a word can have multiple meanings. You can crush a bag of chips and you can have a crush on someone. Whatever definition your essay has, make sure to define it in a unique way. Be creative and approach it from a new angle. As the article states, it isn’t a bad idea to put in examples from your own life of how that specific word has impacted you. This will definitely make it more interesting for the reader.
Need Some Definition Essay Guidance?
Sometimes it can be hard to find a term we know well that also has a multi-dimensional definition. This is a common problem for college students and one that is commonly solved by buying an essay online! EssayPro, the best essay writing service on the web, has dedicated paper writers that know all the tips and tricks necessary to write an effective definition essay, leaving you and your professor satisfied!
Looking for "Write My Essay" Service? EssayPro can help you with any academic task!